1. The idea came about when the chairman of ABCTC was on a visit to South Africa in the mid- nineties. He was fascinated by the growth of cyber café parlors which served coffee and snacks and had become popular youngster hangouts. He was so impressed that it led to the creation of the first outlet in November 1996 on Bangalores Brigade Road. That was arguably also Indias first cyber café. What was the result of the idea and who is the gentleman? ::: This was the beginning of Café Coffee Day; the man in the story is V.G Siddhartha, the chairman of Amalgamated Bean Coffee Trading Company (ABCTC). V.G Siddhartha is also the son in law of S.M. Krishna, governor of Maharashtra. Siddhartha also owns financial security firm Way2Wealth.
2. Graduated from IIM in 1971. He is the publisher of India Abroad, a weekly newspaper in New York. He won the DataQuest Pathbreaker of the Year award in 2000. He co-founded Rediffusion in 1972. ::::Ajit Balakrishnan, who with Arun Nanda, co-founded Rediffusion in 1972. He is also the founder and owner of Rediff.com
3. An apt question in this time of a Sensex boom. A Raipur boy, was rusticated from school. He started as an employee of New India Assurance Company which he later quit. He propounded the Replacement Value Assets Theory. Whom are we talking about? :::Harshad Mehta, who was nicknamed “Big Bull”
4. Named after the first mate in Herman Melvilles book, Moby Dick, this company was founded in 1971 in Seattles Pike Place Market. From its humble beginnings, the chain now owns coffee houses in North America, Europe, West Asia, Latin America and the Pacific Rim.
The chains success is credited to Howard Schultz who first joined the company in the early 1980s. He turned the company from a local roaster and retailer of whole bean and ground coffee to an international chain that served liquid beverages. The chain through its company-owned and franchisee outlets-9671 at last count- now employees 90,000 people. Identify brand/company. ::::StarBucks. If reports are to be believed, they will be entering the Indian market by late 2006-2007
6. In 1955, which institution was incorporated at the initiative of the World Bank, Government of India and representatives of Indian industry with the objective of creating a development financial institution for providing medium and long-term project financing to Indian businesses? ::::The Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India Limited (ICICI)
7. This cosmetic brand major in India derives its name from the French version of Lakshmi. Simone Tata took over as the company chairperson in 1982 and established it as a brand in the overseas market. In 1989, the company divested its cosmetics business and changed its name to Trent Limited, and went on to establish the Westside chain of stores. Which brand is being discussed here? ::::Lakme